To all residents of Woolston
I would like to announce that both Paul Bretherton and Bill Brinksman have not been selected to stand in the local elections by the Labour party, and therefore it is with deep regret that we will no longer be able to represent you the community at large.
Many residents have already been in touch with us to enquire as to whether this news was true and were shocked when we confirmed it. Many have expressed their surprise and bewilderment, considering that we were only recently re-elected and with large majorities.
It is true that other Labour party candidates are being brought in to replace the two of us so we would like to take this final opportunity to thank you the residents who have supported us since we were first elected, nearly some ten years ago. We’d also like to take this opportunity to take a stroll down memory lane and provide a brief reminder of some of the major work that we both undertook along with Tony McCarthy during this time:
· Fought to keep Woolston High School open
· Fought to ensure that we got the Woolston Hub. The first hub of its kind in the town.
· Started to hold the regular community surgeries which have seen literally hundreds of people through the doors over the years
· Fought to have a complete re-build of Woolston CP School, one of the then oldest and most dilapidated schools in the town
· Helped to convert the abandoned playbarn building into the Sensory Centre
· Fought for investment in Woolston Park
· Fought for funding for the Woolston New Cut trail
· Fought numerous planning applications but particularly hostile applications on both Bridge Road and New Cut Lane, supporting residents whose lives were being impacted negatively.
This is aside to literally to a huge number of every day issues such as prioritising major road repairs, street lighting, dog fouling, littering, pot hole repairs and not forgetting general enquiries about Council tax, Golden Gates Housing and a whole host of other things.
From Holes Lane, to Margaret Ave, to Manchester Road, to Greymist Ave. From Parksway to Monmouth, to Weir Lane, to Riversdale. From Gig lane to Longbarn to Dam Lane to Berkshire Drive. From Epping Drive to Hall Road, to Austral Ave, to Hill Top. From Oakdene to Wareham Close and Hillock Lane to Runnymede. These are only some of the places where we have worked to make improvements, listened to the concerns of residents and tried to make a difference to the quality of their lives for all of us.
It has been an absolute pleasure to represent you all, the community that we have so much personal affinity and affection for, and judging by the number of votes that we have recorded over the years from yourselves, we'd like to think that appreciation was on the whole mutual.
For the final time as a team - Thank you.
Paul, Bill, Tony