150g spreadable butter
150g caster sugar
4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
200g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
For the icing:
150g icing sugar
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (165°C fan assisted), 350°F, gas mark 4. Prepare a 15cm diameter, deep cake tin. (Although we used a loaf tin)
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy - the mixture needs to be really pale in colour and considerably larger in volume before you go on.
3. Break the eggs into a small bowl and beat lightly, before adding a little at a time, to the butter/sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl, then fold gradually into the creamed mixture. Add the lemon zest and mix gently.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 60-70 minutes until firm to the touch or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let it cool for a couple of minutes in the tin, then turn out on to a rack and leave to cool completely.
6. You can either dust with a little icing sugar or make lemon icing. Just sieve 150g of icing sugar into a bowl and gradually add the fresh lemon juice. Beat well. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and drizzle over the cake.