450g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons oil
Zest and juice of 1 large lime, plus additional for serving
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 jalapeño, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large yellow pepper
1 large red onion
Salsa, sour cream (or plain yogurt), and guacamole, optional for serving
1. Cut the chicken into bite-chunks and place in a food bag.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the oil, lime juice and zest, chilli powder, cumin, garlic, jalapeno, and salt. Pour over the chicken, seal the bag, the gently shake the bag until the chicken is coated in the marinade. Place the bag in a baking dish to catch any drips, then put in the fridge for 30 minutes or overnight. If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for at least 20 minutes before use.
3. When ready to cook, heat your BBQ to medium-high. Cut the peppers, courgette and onion into chunks, then thread onto skewers with the marinated chicken pieces, alternating the chicken with the vegetables.
4. Place the kebabs on the BBQ, cover, and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink, at least 6 to 8 minutes, turning the skewers once or twice throughout so that it cooks evenly.
5. Remove the chicken kebabs to a serving plate, add a few squeezes of fresh lime juice. Serve warm, garnished with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole as desired.